PARENTAL GUIDANCE POLICY AT Westfield Garden State Plaza
We’re committed to providing a comfortable and enjoyable environment for all our guests. We require that those 17 and under be accompanied at all times by a parent or supervising adult age 21 or older after 5pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
Fridays and Saturdays, 5pm - Close
1. Visitors 17 years of age and younger are required to be accompanied at all times by a parent or supervising adult age 21 or older on Friday and Saturday after 5pm. Parental Guidance Policy hours are subject to change during the holiday season.
2. Unsupervised youth shopping prior to 5pm on Friday and Saturday evenings must leave the mall by 5pm or immediately be joined by a parent or supervising adult age 21 or older.
3. Proof of age may be required for the youth or supervising adult. Those who lack proper identification may be asked to leave the property.
4. Valid identification includes a state issued driver’s license or ID card, a military ID, a school ID card, or a passport. The identification must be tamper proof and include a photograph and date of birth.
5. One adult may accompany up to four youths.* All accompanied youths must remain with the supervising adult.
6. Supervising adults are responsible for the actions of the youth they accompany.
*This limitation does not apply to children age 10 and under.
Parental Guidance Policy dates and times are subject to change by Mall Management. All weapons are prohibited.
CODE OF CONDUCT
This center, including the parking area, is private property. To ensure a safe and pleasant shopping experience for our guests, the following activities are not permitted on these premises.
2. OFFENSIVE OR DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR likely to provoke a disturbance or infringe on the rights
or peace of other patrons in the Center, including: gestures; obscenities; slurs based on race, religion, gender,
sexual orientation, or ethnicity; sexually explicit language/conduct; excessive noise or music.
3. UNSAFE ACTIVITIES such as horseplay, use of physical force, fighting, running, skateboarding, skating,
or riding cycles, scooters or Segways in the pedestrian areas.
4. OPEN ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES except in designated areas.
5. PHOTOGRAPHING OR VIDEOTAPING on Center property in an intimidating or threatening
manner, or in a manner that compromises the safety or security of any individual or entity at the Center.
6. FAILING TO BE FULLY CLOTHED, including the absence of shirts and/or shoes, or wearing apparel
that obscures, disguises, or conceals the face, unless worn for medical or religious reasons.
7. APPAREL THAT MAY PROVOKE OR INCITE VIOLENCE or create a disturbance.
8. UNAUTHORIZED COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY or solicitation.
9. FREE SPEECH ACTIVITY NOT AUTHORIZED IN ADVANCE by Westfield Management.
10. FIREARMS (including replicas) or any object that can be used as a weapon.
11. ANIMALS with the exception of trained service animals or service animals in training.
12. SMOKING OR VAPING
13. VIOLATING ANY FEDERAL, STATE, OR LOCAL LAW OR ORDINANCE.
Any person or persons who violate the Code of Conduct will be asked to leave the Center and may be subject to arrest for criminal trespass.
The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list. Westfield has the right to determine that additional conduct is prohibited.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for guests with disabilities.
Parental Guidance Policy Q&A
Why is Westfield Garden State Plaza implementing a parental guidance policy?
Like many shopping centers across the country, we have experienced an increase in disruptive behavior that violates the center’s code of conduct by a small minority of younger visitors. Taking this extra step in our security measures will ensure a pleasant and safe environment for our families and every member of our community, as well as our retail partners.
How will the mall be enforcing the new parental guidance policy?
Police officers and mall security guards will be at all shopping center entrances to check IDs (a state issued driver’s license or ID card, a military ID, a school ID card, or a passport), and those who cannot provide identification will be required to have a chaperone. One adult aged 21 or older can accompany up to four youths.
What happens to underage visitors who are dropped off, but without a parent or supervising adult? Are they denied entry? What do you do if they don’t have a way to leave the property?
Visitors under the age of 18 without a parent or supervising adult 21 years or older will not be allowed access to the center and must contact their parent/guardian to either pick them up or accompany the minor during their visit at the center. Waiting zones have been established for those waiting to be picked up and are located at Entrance 1 by AMC Theatres, Entrance 10 on the west side of the property and Entrance 15 by the Food Court.
Is the Parental Guidance Policy in effect just for the inside of the shopping center, or on all mall property?
The Parental Guidance Policy is in effect for the entire mall property including the interior and exterior of the center.
Is the Parental Guidance Policy in effect for the restaurants, department stores and the movie theater?
The Parental Guidance Policy will be in effect for the common area of the mall and the inline retailers. Restaurants and department store policies will vary so guests should contact them directly for more information. This policy is not in effect inside the movie theater and guests can enter the movie theater using Entrance 1 or the escalators at Entrance 17. Guests entering the common area of the mall from the movie theater, restaurants, and department stores will be checked to ensure that the Parental Guidance Policy is being followed.
How long will this policy be in effect?
This policy will remain in effect indefinitely.
What will happen to those who are under 18 at 5:00 pm who entered the mall earlier in the day?
Anyone in the common area of the mall under the age of 18 without a parent or supervising adult 21 years or older after 5:00 pm will be asked to contact their parent/guardian to either pick them up or accompany the minor during the remainder of their visit at the center. Waiting zones have been established for those waiting to be picked up and are located at Entrance 1 by AMC Theatres, Entrance 10 on the west side of the property and Entrance 15 by the Food Court.
Please contact GSPinfo@urw.comwith any further questions.