Emergency Preparedness Month
September is Emergency Preparedness Month, or National Preparedness Month, sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The month serves as a good reminder that natural and man-made disasters can strike at any time. Westfield Valencia Town Center is committed to helping individuals and families in the Santa Clarita community be prepared for any crisis. Below, you will find a variety of emergency preparedness resources and how to have a planned response when you're at home, work, or on the road.
In 2020, 60,714 weather-related events resulted in 585 deaths and 1,708 injuries. Winter weather, tornadoes and floods resulted in the most deaths that year, according to Injury Facts.
Federal agencies, like Ready.gov and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration also are valuable resources for emergency preparedness. When you face a natural or man-made emergency, try to stay informed through radio, TV or the Internet. In some cases, however, cable, electric and cell phone service will be disabled, making communication nearly impossible. The National Safety Council recommends the following general precautions that apply to many disaster situations:
- Download the FEMA app for resources, weather alerts and safety tips
- Make sure to have a family communication plan in place; all members of the family should review and practice the plan
- Have all family members' and other important phone numbers written down or memorized
- Have an emergency kit in your car and at least three days of food and water at home
- Be sure to store all important documents – birth certificates, insurance policies, etc. – in a fire-proof safe or safety deposit box
- Assign one family member the responsibility of learning first aid and CPR
- Know how to shut off utilities
- Fulgent Genetics will be providing vaccinations onsite on Saturday, September 25th, from 10am-6pm. Pfizer vaccines are available for persons 12 years and older. Minors need to be accompanied by parent/guardian. Please remember to bring your photo ID or other forms of identification. Schedule your appointment at vaccine.fulgentgenetics.com.
Please visit Santa Clarita Prepar edness Information for local information and support, and follow @scvsheriff and @cityofsantaclarita on Instagram for current information and events happening in our community. Check back on this page for events and happenings later this month at the center!
|Monday||27 Sep||12:00 AM - 12:00 AM|
|Tuesday||28 Sep||12:00 AM - 12:00 AM|
|Wednesday||29 Sep||12:00 AM - 12:00 AM|
|Thursday||30 Sep||12:00 AM - 12:00 AM|