Come explore the Edible Gardens at Westfield Old Orchard with Garden Educators from The Organic Gardener. Every Friday, learn about growing food, caring for the environment, and observing nature through hands-on STEAM activities. We welcome children ages 2-12 and their families to join us throughout the growing season in the Edible Gardens.
|Class Date||Activity Theme||Activity Theme Description|
|May 24, May 27, and June 7||Plant A Seed||
What do plants need to grow? Learn about sun, soil, water and air as you plant an edible sunflower seeds in a biodegradable pot. Take your plant home and watch it grow.
|June 14 & 21||Make A Window Greenhouse||Ever wonder what roots look like? Join us as we plant bean seeds in window greenhouses and take yours home to observe the growth.|
|June 28 & July 5||Wear an Edible Necklace||
We will plant sunflower sprout seeds into tiny bags with soil that can be worn as a necklace and then eaten once they sprout!
|July 12 & 19||Find a Pizza in The Garden||
Explore the Edible Gardens on a Pizza Scavenger Hunt. Learn fun facts about plants in the garden using all of our different senses as you identify all of the ingredients that could be in a pizza!
|July 26 & August 2||Sun Prints||Using special light-activated paper, we will create beautiful works of art from the reflections of plants. Take yours with you to decorate your home with nature-inspired and created artwork.|
|August 9 & 16||Marigold Jewelry||Make a bracelet out of real flowers. String fresh marigolds together to wear as jewelry or to hang at home as decoration.|
|August 23 & 30||Flower Bookmarks||Pick you favorite flowers and leaves from the garden and learn how to transform them into a special bookmark. Perfect for Back to School reading.|
|September 6 & 13||Create a Garden Crown||Make a beautiful crown made of plants from the Edible Garden. Use multi-color dried leaves to decorate your crown and be king/queen for the day.|
|September 20 & 27||Make Your Own Seed Packet||Create and design seed packets. Then fill them with seeds to plant at home. Learn how to identify seeds with plants in the Edible Garden using a seed wheel.|
|October 4 & 11||Create an Herbal Sachet||Explore using your sense of smell as you leran about different herbs in the Edible Gardens. Make and take your own potpourri by mixing dried herbs and flowers in sachet bags.|
|October 18 & 25||Silly Seed Cups||Get silly and plant something that can grow inside any time of year. Plant and decorate a cup that will grow "hair" using edible microgreen seeds. Take it home to grow a delicious and nutritous mini-salad.|
- Location: Check-in is located in the garden near Cube Park and William-Sonoma
- What should I bring into the event? Please bring yourself and your child in clothes that can get a little dirty. All children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event? Yes, please bring your printed ticket, we will check you in with the name with which you registered. Registration is required.
- What is the age limit for this class? We invited children ages 2-12 to join us in this hands-on learning class!
- Are photos allowed? We love it when guests take pictures and share them with us! Post your favorites to our Instagram page: @WestfieldOldOrchard and #WestfieldOldOrchard
The Organic Edible Garden is maintained by The Organic Gardener, LTD.